“The best way to embrace your life abroad is to live like locals”
One of the many things I enjoy about being an expat is the fact that I keep being surprised by my country of adoption, everything is new still. Which brings me to today’s topic: FOOTY!
Sport seems to be a big thing in Australia and I m always keen on exploring new horizons and Sunday March 31 was my first footy game at the Adelaide Oval!!! yayyyyyyyy celebrationnnnnn, big time!
But in Australia everything is different, so forget what you think you know about football/soccer (especially if you are from Europe) because this is nothing like you have experienced so far! So erase your mind and follow me!
First of all, Australian footy, is a contact sport played between two teams of eighteen players on an oval shaped field (like on a cricket ground). Points are scored by kicking the oval shaped ball between goal posts (worth six points) or between behind posts (worth one point). So what does it mean? Well to me basically, it looks like a melting pot of soccer, rugby on a cricket field. Yes I know…. crazy?! Maybe Aussie footie is like an English pudding, you basically combine some leftovers together , let’s say a croissant, a brownie and a muffin, you mix it all and voila luckily you create something new and hopefully tasty!
So if you live in Adelaide, you support: THE CROWS, that’s our team! So basically MARCH 31, 2019 was the Grand Final match between the Adelaide Crows and the Carlton Blues at the Oval stadium and WE won!!!! The girls did it, not only they did, they litteraly smashed it, it was a great game! So that made the experience even more interesting 🙂 and I can’t thank enough my Mexican friends Jessica and Luis for inviting me there as this was their idea and I really really loved it! We had a good time altogether. Besides it was a free event as it was girls footy and a lot of people attend to this game and the atmosphere was really good!
Some of the hilights and interesting facts during the game were:
- History was made as the Crows soared to its second premiership in three years in front of 53,034 fans
- The attendance was the fifth-highest for a football match at Adelaide Oval
- Crows lived up to their favourites’ tag, demolishing the Blues, 10.3 (63) to 2.6 (18)
- Massive knee injury during the match, one of the players was badly hit (yes this sport can be dangerous)
- Intensive gossiping sessions between me and my Mexican friends during the break sessions, which is always nice (hey girls will always be girls)
- Ketchup attack during the game, my ketchup box went mental on me because I opened it the wrong way and lashed on me leaving me covered with ketchup (not kidding…. Jess could not help laughing at the scene) hated this feeling of feeling sticky lol
- Seflies sessions, fries and chicken popcorn all along, a great way to enjoy fully the game!
All in all this s was a monumental day for AFLW, and women’s sport in general, in many ways. A crowd of 30,000 was expected, but the Adelaide public arrived in droves for an official attendance of 53,034. It was easily the largest crowd for a women’s game of Australian football and the fifth-biggest crowd at Adelaide Oval for any football game.
LET S GO CROWS ❤
One thought on “Let’s go girls!!!!!!”